Thursday, October 16, 2008

My stay in SG [part 5 - the scholarship's aftermath (cont'd)]

Now, can you still spot some other stupidities in the company's argument? Well, how about this one: the reason that they rejected my request was because they had changed the policy, wasn't it? They changed their policy from requiring the scholar to put a security deposit of 10% to 100%. To me this doesn't make any sense at all. How could they just change the policy that drastically. From 10% to 100%? Hell they must be joking. In fact, from the scholarship agreement that I borrowed from 1 of my friend, since I have never even read mine, there wasn't any part stating how their policy might be in considering the scholars' appeal for pursuing a graduate study. So this is how sg defines a scholarship. Well, as far as I'm concerned, a scholarship is usually given without involving any contractual obligation or else it should be called a business deal instead. Even if there should be any contractual obligation, all the procedures of changing the policy must be made clear, don't you think? One of the parties involved in this business deal can't just change the policy without letting the other know.
So, motivated by this thought of mine, which I believe some people may be arguable to, I asked the NUS reg off to send the "sponsor" (my business partner indeed) to issue me a formal letter with its own letterhead stating when exactly the policy was changed, which clearly must be within June 2007-January 2008, referring back to my senior's case where the old policy still applied. And as I prolly have mentioned earlier, I had actually been having no contact with the "sponsor" whatsoever. I didn't even get any of the company's email to NUS reg off forwarded, let alone to get the direct contact number of the person in charge of all these stupid scholarship things. The staffs in NUS reg off only told me that all requests pertaining to my appeal must be made through them, and all answers from the company would as well be communicated to me from them. WTF?!?!? Who the hell do they think they are? The scholarship agreement, again if any, was initially made between me & the company, and in this regard the reg off has no right at all to go into the case. That was really one fuckin' experience anyone would never want to have. It was so complicated doing all things via a third-party when the "second-party" itself remained silent and unknown.
Oh btw, as I had expected, none of my request was entertained, like always. Even until today, there hasn't been such a formal letter from the company with its own letterhead stating anything regarding the policy change. Now I really doubt if this company does exist.

Now I'm about to end this part here and for those of you who are still wondering how this stupid unimportant scholarship thingy finally ended, please wait for the 6th part which will come real soon, prolly after weekend (yeah, I value my weekend seriously).
But as a closure, let me tell you something. At that time when I was still busy submitting my appeal, I even still had the email from this person called AO previously mentioned in the 3rd part of this story, which stated that I'd only be required to pay 10% of the LD. So I printed it out, brought it with me when I went to the NUS reg off to ask them how things could become totally different. I insisted of meeting this AO with the email prepared. I waited there asking someone to tell her that I was waiting. 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes....I was still waiting. Then came another staff of the reg off. This time I told this guy how I had been waiting for 30 minutes, and that I'd really appreciate if I could meet her asap. He went in, but the one that came out to meet me turned out....someone else. What the heck was going on??? Had this AO been dead?? This other staff then told me that AO was very busy for the day, working on some financial aid thingy that were supposed to be finished on that day. "Oh what a coincidence," I replied, "so she can't even meet me for a minute?". Of course, the answer was a no.
Weeks later, this AO called me on my cell, telling me how the appeal process had been and she then said, "But you did receive the scholarship from them. Now can you with your conscience say that you didn't?". It didn't have to take me more than a second to reply, "Oh, speaking about moral and conscience, what do you think I should call someone who kept her guest waiting for more than 30 minutes without meeting him at the end? Don't you think that such a person is..well...morally challenged?". There you go, 1 for each of us.

N.B.: Now that I've analyzed all flaws in the company's argument, I'm sure that I'd get a 6 should this come up as a question in the Argument Essay part of the GRE General Test.

3 comments:

Aditzz said...

Dude i dunno u got blog...I link urs in mine yeah?

and...turn off that word verification if u dun mind.

kawaiishieli said...

gila ya bener2 NUS itu....dari contract temen lu..ada gak contact number company lu?? bug terus aja minta...kalo gak ya lapor ke yg lebih tinggi lagi di registra office?

Haskell said...

haha sabar sher...this is not the end yet....what I did was definitely way better than just "minta terus"...gw gt loh....masa gw nyerah...hell that's not me lol