Wednesday, August 6, 2008

51 weeks & 2 days to my freedom

It's been almost a week since my last post and I'm still sitting here not knowing if I have anything interesting enough to write. Anyway, instead of doing nothing this afternoon, like I usually do in any other afternoons *note the plural form*, I'll just point out some important highlights from last week (like there's any)....
hmm, where do we start? I heard someone saying MRI?? ok, let's start with the MRI....
Exactly 8 days ago, I underwent an MRI for my brain and cervical spine. For those of you who have read my previous posts, I'm sure you know why I ended up doing this pricey test. Aside from being held unnecessarily for 40mins inside that whatever-you-call-it thing, the entire scanning process was ok to me, nothing to be afraid of. Well, the scan turned out fine as neither the radiologist nor the neurologist found anything suspicious based on the MRI report. The doctor then prescribed me another set of medications which I have to religiously take for 2 weeks--1 more week to go. For the first few days, I could feel that the medicines were doing me a great favor; I was recuperating, finally. These past couple days, however, I start to feel funny again every time I sit or walk for quite a while. Gosh, I really don't understand what's wrong with me, but yeah, we'll see if 1 more week is enough for the headache to be completely cured. This time for good, please.
Speaking of 1 more week, I still have 1 + 50 more weeks (= 51 weeks) and couple of days before I can regain my freedom as a human being. Leaving this pathetic island for good has definitely been my dream since 4 years and 20 days ago, counting back to my very first day in sg (July 19,2004). So, before that day comes, I still need to keep myself busy to kill the remaining time. Any idea how I should do this?
....oh wait a sec....I have my own idea...: going back to school, doesn't that sound great?!?!?! Yeah, as any other newly-matriculated students will start their first lesson this coming Monday, so do I....I'm doing 5 graduate modules this semester, unofficially. For God's sakes, I really need to do some REAL stats or I'll end up being like a complete idiot this time next year when I start my PhD. Yeah, I got everything planned and scheduled last night: 5 stats modules and 2 language courses a week for the rest of this year. Here's how my timetable will look like from next week onwards:

Mon 18.00-21.00: CO5102 Principles of Epidemiology
Tue 12.00-14.00: ST5214 Advanced Probability Theory
Wed 19.00-22.00: ST5202 Applied Regression Analysis
Thu 12.00-14.00: ST5214 Advanced Probability Theory
19.00-22.00: ST5201 Basic Statistical Theory
Fri 19.00-22.00: ST5210 Multivariate Data Analysis
Sat 10.00-12.00: Spanish Beginner 1
14.30-17.45: German B.2.5

Now I'm really excited., I just didn't know that I love school that much haha...believe me, working sucks. While I could skip any classes I didn't feel like attending, I don't get to skip my job every time I feel like doing it (which basically happens every day). What's more, I've barely had any chance to optimize my brain to its fullest potential. Now you see why I need to get some stats?

No comments: