Thursday, August 7, 2008

hadiah ultah sg

Today I'll start my 9-hour-in-office story with a gag. So this morning I got a reply from my email to OSU, sent almost a year ago...what the.... OK, it's actually not about the email being replied after a year, but what was on the email can prolly be an interesting birthday gift to your (not my) lovely island

Dear Sie Haskell,
...
The OSU rule on the TOEFL is that international applicants who will have a university degree from an institution in an English-speaking country at the time they would start our program at OSU do not need to submit TOEFL scores.


"well ok, that's gr8, I don't have to waste another 17 bucks for sending my toefl score", so I thought. But wait, there's still this baffling part of their email:

Although the classes at the National University of Singapore are taught in English, the language of Singapore is not English, thus the TOEFL scores are required.

"The language of Singapore is not English". Are they kidding me??
It took me just a few seconds to realize that they are indeed making a point....gosh, am I really this stupid? I have indeed repeatedly said it myself, the language of Singapore is not English. Does anyone have a guess what it actually is?? Go figure it out.
So the TOEFL score is required in this case, because some people -like me- just don't like the idea that the highly regarded English will be tainted by some filthy particles like lah,mah,meh,moh,walao....*I'm still laughing, btw*. Well then I guess one of my Singaporean "friend" who insisted that his English is fine was just trying to make a joke. Not a good one, though.

No comments: