Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My relationship with Statistics: a one night stand?


There are times when I feel like giving up, when even a complete assurance that I'll soon be able to leave sg and forget that such a place had ever been part of my life doesn't do much. Today was such a day. Gosh, I really don't have any idea why I have to go through all these. I've been drowning in this super wearisome, pathetic, mundane, crappy, and corny job for almost 3 months, but those 3 months really feel like ages. This week, in particular, has been extremely long for me. I have been trying to be positive, like constantly, telling myself that another 48 weeks won't be that long, that soon enough I won't have to come to sg ever again. But yeah, no such things works for me.


Indeed, I started to have this very important question regarding what I should do for a living in the future. A job like this, like what I've been doing, is definitely a big NO. I'm so not going to be in such a position for the rest of my life. Let us put aside the possibility of me becoming a renowned researcher or university professor, since I'm not even sure if I could really cope with the esoteric real analysis & probability theory in pursuing a PhD. A Master degree in Statistics, on the other hand, would only serve as a mean to get me to a similar sickening scenario, working in an office, being told of what people want me to do, being demanded to finish my work within a very unreasonable deadline.


I'd prolly have to make a huge decision pursuing a graduate degree in another field. The big question is again, what is it that I really want? Languages, yeah I love learning languages. But as far as I'm concerned, I'm only interested in learning new languages superficially, for the sake of being able to communicate with people from different countries, of traveling without needing a tour guide. Sounds cheesy, huh? I can't imagine myself studying literature, working on essays, analyzing phonetics and language acquisitions, etc.
Well then I guess I really have to find out what is best for me, which remains unknown to date. 48 weeks to go, and I hope I'll have gotten the answer by then.


No comments: